Sending and receiving texts using Google Voice within the United States and Canada is completely free.
Texting with Google Voice requires Wi-Fi connection, or else it will use your phone’s data plan if it cannot connect to Wi-FiHere are 3 ways for how to use Google Voice to send and receive texts:
Use Google Voice for Texting on a Computer
- Use Google Voice on a computer to send a text to any number, even a non- Google Voice number. If you send a text that is longer than 160 characters, it will be delivered as multiple texts.
- In your Computer’s web browser, go to Google Voice.
- Open the tab that is labeled “messages”. It looks like a speech bubble with three lines inside of it.
- Under the “messages” tab, click “send a message” to begin sending a text message.
- Enter a number or a contact’s name if they are a saved contact on your Google Voice account. You can send a text message to up to 30 recipients.
- Type your message in the text field, then click “send”. The “send” icon looks like a small paper airplane.
Use Google Voice for Texting on an Apple Device
- Open the Google Voice app on your iPhone, iPad or other Apple device. It looks like a green speech bubble with a white phone inside of it.
- Open the tab for “messages”. The “messages” tab looks like a speech bubble with three horizontal lines inside of it.
- Once you have opened the “messages” tab, select the “compose” icon, which appears as a pen.
- Your list of contacts will open, and you can select up to 30 contacts to send your text message to. If you need to send a message to someone that is not in your contacts, simply add their phone number.
- Type your message in the text feild. If it is longer than 160 characters, it will be sent as mulitple messages to non Google Voice recipients.
- When you are ready to send your message, tap the “send” button which looks like a little paper airplane.
Use Google Voice for Texting on an Android Device
- Find the Google Voice app on your Android phone or device. It looks like a white phone inside of a green speech bubble.
- Once you’ve opened the app, tap the tab for “messages”. It looks like a square shaped speech bubble with three lines inside of it.
- At the bottom of the “message” screen, tap “add”. This icon looks like a circle with a plus sign inside of it.
- Enter a contact’s name or phone number. You can add up to 30 numbers to receive your Google Voice text message.
Type your message in the text box, and when you are ready, tap “send”. The “send” button looks like a small paper airplane or an arrow.