A compressed file is generally known as a zip file.
Zip files do a great job of making a folder into a single file that would take less space than a folderThese kinds of files are essential for making content perfect for downloading things from the internetCompressing is the format whose usefulness has proven itself for years and would continue in the future; with this, zip files are not going anywhere soonZip files are inherently different because they take less spaceZIP file works with the fundamental of breaking down chunks of bits into smaller forms.
Suppose your manager sent you project details on a zip file, and you are afraid of not knowing how to unzip it. Worry not; we are helping to help with the situation. In this very article, we are discussing unzipping every compressed file format in multi-platform, it includes; Windows, Mac, and Linux.
4 Methods to Unzip Files on Windows PC
You can quickly identify the ZIP file by looking at its extension, saying zip. There are various ways to unzip the zip file; windows have the built-in feature to unzip the file. Also, you can use third-party software available in the market like Winzip, WinRAR, 7zip, and others.
Unzip Files Using Windows Extract Feature
Things can’t get easier than having a zip extractor in one’s operating system. For this method to unzip files, you need not download any application. It is the most straightforward and quick method to use.
- Go to the location where zip file exists, or download the file from the web if you have not already done that.
- You can quickly identify the zip file by looking at the extension. Click right on the mouse after selecting the file to draw context menú.
- Windows 7,8,10 has its zip and unzip feature, thus on the context menu, select the option saying “Extract All” or “Extract Here.”
- Extract All” will generate a dialogue box that asks for the destination folder where you would like to save the unzipped files on, whereas “Extract Here” will extract all the files on the same folder where zip file resides.
The extracted folder is more substantial than the compressed file; thus, make sure you have enough space to obtain.
Unzip Files using Winzip
In this tutorial, we are discussing how to Unzip the file using Winzip to free up space.
- Go to the following link, Winzip, to download the software for Windows 7/8/10. Then install the software, installation is similar to another general installation method.
- Go to the location where the zip file is located and right-click on it. If Winzip is appropriately installed, the right click will show “Winzip” option in the context menu, click on it.
- As you click on Winzip, there will be a couple of options available to you, here were are interested in unzipping the file. Thus select on “Unzip.”
- Locate the destination path for the contents and select “Unzip.”
Unzip Files using WinRAR
WinRAR is the widely used software to Unzip file and folders. WinRAR is available to compress and decompress any file format.
- To begin with the process, first of all, download and install WinRAR software in your Windows PC. WinRAR is available free to download, but you can also find paid versión of the software.
- Now there are two ways to Unzip the files.
First, click right on the zip file and select WinRAR to unzip the file while extracting it. Whereas the second method is, Open the zipped file using WinRAR and perform extraction from the application.
- The extracted files by both methods can be saved on the same folder where zip file lies, or you can set them to an available location.
Unzip Files using 7zip
7Zip is no wonder the best contender software for extracting zip contents. It has a high ratio compression feature.
- Download and install 7zip software from the provided link. 7zip is available for 32-bit and 64-bit OS, thus consider downloading one best suitable for you.
- Now, open the zip files using 7zip. It is a straightforward method to use 7zip itself rather than a menu option to unzip.
- On the 7zip interface, you will see the compressed files to undo them, select all files and click on the “Extract” option on the menu tab.
- 7zip will prompt you to ask to choose destination to unzip, set the path, and click on “unzip,” it’s that simple.
2 Simple Process to Unzip Files on Mac OS
It’s effortless to compress and decompress contents that you received by email or downloaded from the internet. Here we are discussing two simple methods to unzip files.
Unzip Files using Mac Archive Feature
The Archive is the robust application that comes to built-in Mac OS, letting unzip the zip files. The process is the simplest of all, follow the steps to know.
- Download the zip files from email or webpages. Now drag the zip files and place them on the Desktop for convenience.
- Create a new folder on the Desktop and place the zip file inside the folder.
- Now the tricky part is, open the folder. You will see the zip file in listing format, which makes it easy to extract contents.
- Double click on the zip file, that’s it. The Archive will automatically unzip the data in the same location instantly.
Note: On Mac, the Safari browser will automatically unzip the files and save it in your local storage.
Unzip Files using Extractor
For this very process, you need to download a third-party application from the App Store.
- Open App Store and start typing “Extractor- unarchive,” then click on install.
- Open “Extractor- unarchive” from the application lists on your Mac. Also, open the location where the zip file is located.
- Now, drag and release the zip file on the application at the area that says, “Select and Archive.”
- Now click on “Extract file,” the archive file will be extracted to the same location where you have your zip file.
A secure method to Unzip Files on Linux OS
Zip and unzip tools are preinstalled in most Linux distribution. In this article, we are discussing unzipping files on the popular Debian distro “Ubuntu.”
- Open the terminal and locate the exact location where the zip file is located. For reference type in: cd/directory/….
- Now, type ls to list the available file.
- Finally, type, unzip filename.zip at the terminal and then press enter.
- The date or folder will be unzipped on the same location where you have your zip content.