When a crescent wrench or channel lock pliers are not available a strap wrench is generally used. It turns the nuts or other plumbing materials without damaging it or scratching it. They are used in various plumbing works. It works on the tension force principles.
How to Use a Strap Wrench Oil Filter?
- Put a ramp in front of each front tyres of the vehicle. Drive your vehicle up the car ramps and turn off the vehicle. Apply the handbrake. Place a wheel chock behind each rear tyre of the vehicle. Then, generally, we allow the engine to cool down for at least an hour.
- Put a drain pan below the vehicle’s oil pan. Take out the drain plug from the engine oil pan with an open-end strap wrench. Allow the oil to drain from the engine oil pan. Change the drain plug. Tighten the plug with the open-end strap wrench. Move the drain pan under the oil filter. Strap-style wrench oil filter removal.
- Slide the strap of the strap-style wrench over the oil filter casing with the back of the handle facing counterclockwise. Push the handle counterclockwise to release the oil filter casing from the engine. Pull the handle of the tool clockwise to rotate the handle if you run out of room to push the tool handle.
- Slide the strap-style wrench off of the oil filter casing. Turn the oil filter wrench counterclockwise by hand to remove the filter casing from the engine. Push a socket filter wrench onto the bottom of the oil filter casing.
- Set a 3/8-inch ratchet handle to turn counter-clockwise. Push the end of the ratchet handle into the socket of the socket filter wrench.
- Turn the ratchet handle counterclockwise until the oil filter casing loosens. Spin the loosened filter casing counterclockwise by hand to remove it from the engine.
How to Make a Strap Wrench?
- Take a metal rod of about 12 cm long. Make a vertical hole at one end. Put a strong rubber belt having grooves in it.
- You can also use a belt and make it work as a strap wrench. All you need to do is to put the belt into the buckle and close its loop.
- You will have to put the belt around the bolt or plumbing area and apply force to open it. The best thing about a strap wrench is that it can be made with anything available nearby.
- It never harms or puts a scratch on the material.
Small Strap Wrench
- The two-piece 16-inch strap is the small strap wrench.
- It becomes easy to open a small bolt or changing car oil filter or grass cutter oil filter etc. The craftsman 2-piece strap wrench set features 2 different strap wrenches with 2 different handle sizes and lengths.
- The large-handled strap wrench can handle any pipes or tubes with a diameter up to 6-3/8 inches. Meanwhile, the small one will be best for small components with a diameter of up to 4 inches.
Best Strap Wrench
- Strap wrenches are easy to use because they have many mouths. This allows you to work with objects across a range of sizes without needing to use a separate tool for each step of your project.
- Most people love strap wrenches because they are tools that can be used in many works. You can use it for fixing your car, pipe leak, etc.
- The best part about the wrench is that it is toothless and hence it does not keep any mark upon the thing used on.
- A strap wrench opens bolts mainly.
- It doesn’t scratch the machine parts.
- It can be made with a belt we wear around our waist.
When would you use a strap wrench?
How do I keep my strap wrench from slipping?
How do you use a husky strap wrench?
How does a band wrench work?
What can I use instead of a strap wrench?
- Duck tape. Duct tape is useful in almost any situation but you may be surprised to learn that you can use it to loosen bolts.
- Two coins. Who would think that money can be used as a makeshift tool?
- Another nut and bolt.
What is the purpose of a torque wrench?
How does click torque wrench work?
What should you not do with a torque wrench?
Do I really need a torque wrench?
Can you change a tire without a torque wrench?
Does oil drain plug need torque?
How tight should lug nuts be without torque wrench?
How tight should lug nuts be tightened?
|Hardware Bolt or Stud Size
|Typical Torque Range in Ft/Lbs
|Minimum Number of Turns of Hardware Engagement
|12 x 1.5 mm
|70 – 80
|12 x 1.25 mm
|70 – 80
|14 x 1.5 mm
|85 – 90
|14 x 1.25 mm
|85 – 90
Is it OK to hand tighten lug nuts?
Can I torque without a torque wrench?
The turn-of-the-nut method is generally recognized as a better method of preload control then torque. So, no need to involve torque in the process at all.
How many FT pounds is hand tight?
How do you tighten a specific torque?
Can you tighten spark plugs without a torque wrench?
Ads by Google