Before you began the process of washing your Patagonia down jacket it is important that you begin by preparing it ready for the washing process. This helps in minimizing the risk of damage. We are going to provide you with the obvious activities that you should undertake before you carry out the washing process.
- Check all the zippers and pockets
Lay your Patagonia down jacket on the table and zip up all the zippers. These zippers include the central one, pit vent zippers, side zippers and pockets. The reason why we recommend that you close the zippers is because they can catch the fabric and rip it off.
To avoid damaging your jacket, kindly follow this precaution. At all times whenever you want to wash your Patagonia down jacket this should be your first thing to do.
Also, you are required to check whether there is anything left on the pockets.So before you zip up the zip pocket ensure you have emptied everything in the pocket.
- Fasten all flaps and straps
Clearly check out whether your jacket has flaps and straps. If present fasten and close them closed. This ensures they do not catch the fabric thereby tearing the jacket off.
- Turn the jacket inside out
We recommend that you turn your jacket inside out. This ensures that your jacket clean better and that the shell is not damaged.
- Check out the instructions label
This should be the last step under preparation. You should check out the instructions label that comes with your jacket. Ideally, this is where you find all the information regarding the correct settings of washing. Whether you seek to wash down the jacket using a machine or by hand all information is provided
NB: Even though we have provided you with a step by step approach of washing Patagonia down jacket it is important to check out the instructions label in attached to your jacket. This is because different type of Patagonia jackets may have specific requirements.
- Washing down the Patagonia jacket on the washing machine
This step calls you to set up the machine washer to wash your jacket.
- Add technical wash specifically designed for down garment. You will notice that each brand has its own specifications. Therefore, it is important for you to take your time to read through the list of directions labeled on the technical wash bottle. This will guide you in knowing how much to add.
- Set the load size of the washer machine to small.
- Let the temperature of the water on the washing machine to be cold/cold.
- Allow the washing machine to run on a gentle and normal wash cycle.
- Leave the jacket on the washing machine and run a rinse cycle on a second time.
NB: When adding soaps ensure you add as directed by the manufacturer. This is because adding more soap than necessarily will prevent your jacket from lofting completely.
Tip: if you find out that your Patagonia jacket has highly visible dirty spots around the neck or cuffs you can apply fabric stain remover on these areas. This should be done before you initiate the washing process.
After you are completely satisfied that your Patagonia jacket is all clean the last step involves drying the jacket. Therefore, remove the jacket from the washing machine and place it on the dryer. For some reasons, this step is considered delicate. This is because if you apply too much heat you may end up destroying your jacket. You need some moderate heat to dry your jacket otherwise it will take you forever for your jacket to dry. Here is how you should operate your dryer.
- Add some tennis balls on the dryer. They work best ensuring that your jacket never clumps.
- Set the dryer on a low heat setting operating on a normal dry cycle time.
- Turn on the dryer.
- It may take more than one cycle to completely dry the jacket.
Tips: Well, if you don’t have a dryer at home there is no cause to worry. You can choose to go for an environmentally friendly way of drying your jacket called air drying. It may take a couple of days to dry your jacket but it is the safest method. The number of days it takes to dry your jacket partly depends on the humidity level of your region.
Can you machine wash a down filled jacket?
Find a front-loading washing machine; the agitator of a top-loader can damage down feathers. After the wash cycle, make sure the jacket gets a thorough rinse; maybe set it for an extra cycle. Once done, pop the jacket in the dryer on a low heat cycle.
Can you dry down jacket in dryer?
Can I machine wash puffer jacket?
Do Down Jackets need to be dry cleaned?
How do you dry clean a down jacket at home?
How do you fix a down jacket after washing it?
Will washing a down coat ruin it?
What can I use in dryer instead of tennis balls?
How do you fluff a down jacket without a dryer?
Can you wash a down jacket without a tumble dryer?
How do you Unclump down?
How can I make my fluffy jacket fluffy again?
How do you make a fleece jacket fluffy again?
- First off – quit washing your hoodies.
- When you do HAVE to wash it, quick gentle cycle it in cold water and don’t use fabric softener.
- Air dry your Sherpa or Fleece.
- When it’s done, use a bristle brush and gently comb it out in all directions.