People Zip files, on another name, “compress” to save the amount of space it occupies also, speeds up the transfer.
Zipped files are not readily available to use, and you need to unzip them onto your deviceHere are possibly the best ways on how to zip and unzip files on Mac.
Zip and Unzip Files on Mac Computer Using Archive Utility
Way to Zip Files On Mac
You can either Zip a file or select a couple of data to zip at once.
- Browse to the directory where your file resides and select one file in particular. Similarly, you can also select more than one file at once.
- After that, right-click on the mousepad to bring about context menus.
- On the given menu, search and find that says similar to “Compress X items”. Here X represents several files you are trying to compress.
As soon you click on “Compress” you will see another folder on the same directory that says the exact file’s name like; filename.zip if you compress one file. Otherwise, on multiple file compression, it should say something like “archieve.zip”.
It should successfully zip your files, and now it’s easy to share between your friends or even store on your external drive.
Way to Unzip Files On Mac
- Follow your path to the same directory where you have created a zip file.
- Now, double click on the file, which brings about a decompressed file named “Archive” on the same directory without any extension.
- Open the folder where you will see all files as it is.
Method to zipping and Unzip Files on Mac using Third-Party Application Tools
If you come from a Windows background, you might have used WinZip, WinRAR, or 7Zip sorts of application tools to zip and unzip files. You can use these tools on the Mac computer as well, but these require extra steps on downloading and installing.
Step 1: Firstly, download the Unarchiver application from the Apple store to your Mac.
Step 2: After that, go to the location where you have your zip files ready to decompress. Right-click on the folder or file and choose “Open with” from the menu.
Step 3: “Open with” will generate a couple of options to unzip the files that you have downloaded from the Mac App Store. Now select “The Unarchiver App.”
Step 4: Now, the process will start decompressing the file; after it complete, open the folder to see unzipped contents.
To zip contents using the same application, select a folder, and choose “The Unarchiever.” The app should successfully run your files.