There are many factors present that contribute to losing your pelvic floor muscles. Kegel exercise is the best workout to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. It strengthens your inner core and supports your uterus, small intestine, rectum, and bladder. If you do not know how to do Kegel exercise in the right way, then here is the guide for you.
- Prepare Your Body for the Exercise
The first thing you need to do before going for this exercise is preparing your body for the same. In Kegel exercise, you put lots of pressure in your pelvic floor area and therefore there are chances that you leak some urine or stool during the process. To avoid this, empty your bladder first. The other thing that you need to do to prepare your body for this exercise include,
- Wear comfortable clothes. You cloths should not be too tight.
- You can do Kegel exercise in any position, but if you have already identified which area of your pelvic floor has a problem, then you can select your own posture and continue with the exercise. However, to begin with, lying down on the floor and exercising is the best way.
- How to do Kegel Exercise?
Now, when you have prepared your body for this exercise, it is the time to finally be on the floor. You can do this exercise in any posture as said above, so you can start this whenever you feel comfortable doing it, but at the beginning do this exercise at home and in comfortable clothes. The steps are,
- If you want to try this exercise in the sitting posture, then sit straight and start focusing on the muscles on which you want to work. If you are able to control your urine in the midstream, then you have identified your pelvic muscle on which you have to work. This is the most difficult part of this workout.
- Tighten your pelvic muscle for 5 seconds and hold the position. Hold it for a few seconds and then relax the muscles.
- On your first day, try to do five reps. Once you have built the confidence, you can increase the reps number gradually and then try to increase the relaxing time period from 5 seconds to 10 seconds.
- Gradually you will get the confidence and you will be able to do the Kegel exercise anytime anywhere. For the best result, you can do this exercise 3 times in a day and it should be a minimum three sets of 10 reps. During the process keep your breathing normal and never try to hold your breath.
- Turn Your Kegel Exercise into a Complete Exercise Session
When you have gained confidence that you can do Kegel exercise effectively, you can turn this exercise into a complete workout session gradually. There are two types of exercise you can perform here:
- Fast twitch muscle exercise, this exercise is called a short contraction. This exercise works on the fast twitch muscles, these are muscles that close off the urine flow instantly and put a stop to leakage. In this exercise, you need to tighten the muscles quickly and lift it up, then release it. When you are exhaling contract muscles after this then begin to breathe normally, the same way as you do when you exercise.
- Slow twitch muscle exercise, this is the second exercise and works on muscles supportive strength and also called as a long contraction. In this exercise, slow twitch muscles are tightened just as in the first case and then lifted up. The position should be kept on hold for many seconds.
- In the beginning, you won’t be able to hold the contraction for over 1 or 2 seconds. Later try to hold this contraction for 10 seconds. After 10 second contraction, rest for 10 seconds. This will not give pain to muscles.
- The Kegel exercise also gives sexual pleasure when you start doing it and holding the position for a longer time.
Kegel exercise should be done alone in the beginning, when you become an expert in it, you can do it anytime.