Whether your dog has given birth to puppies or you have adopted one, it’s up to you to take good care of it and that includes grooming.
Cutting the puppy’s nails can be tricky especially if it is your first time. Here are three methods of cutting puppy nails.
- One of the common ways to cut the nails is by using clippers. The first thing is to make sure that you get the best clipper. If you do not know how to choose the right one, you can get help from a vet or an employee at the pet store.
- When you are cutting the nails, make sure to only cut the tip. You should also trim declaw if your pet has one. You can use treats to make the experience a smooth one. Be calm and don’t frighten your dog. Have a phobic puppy to the clipper will make the process longer.
Using a Dremel tool
- You can opt for a Dremel tool if you do not want to use clippers. It has an abrasive head that will make the process easier. Begin by cutting the tips of the puppy’s nails.
- In case you are not sure how to use the dremel tool, you can get help from a professional groomer. You can also ask a vet to show you how to do it.
Using a file
- The file is used to file the dog’s nails. It helps you avoid cutting into the puppy’s nail bed. It can be very painful when cut. When filing, only file the hook at the end of the puppy’s nail.
- When filing the nail, you should place the dog next to you. It should not be in a front-facing position.
Make your Puppy Relax
You need to make your puppy relax and comfortable. For example, if the puppy tries to run while you are trimming his nails, it will get him injured. Likewise, your puppy can cause injuries to you if he bites or scratches you. It is important to avoid such situations. So, make sure you relax him.
Do not turn on the TV or any other thing that causes noise in the room. However, if your puppy likes background noise, then you can play some music with low, soft volume. This will make him feel comfortable and relax. It is your duty, as a dog owner, to soothe and encourage him before you cut his nails.
Trim His Nails Properly
Before you start making the actual cuts, you must trim his nails properly. Don’t do anything without guidance. Otherwise, it will hurt your puppy’s nails. It can even have bleeding. So, first, you need to place the paw of the puppy in your free hand.
Hold each toe while trimming the nail. Hold the tor with your thumb and the index finger firmly. Make sure you don’t squeeze tightly. However, you need to put some gentle pressure so that the grip is accurate.
Likewise, you need to cut the white portion of the nail. There is a vein that sits underneath the rest of the nail’s part. This is called “quick.” If you cut it, you will make the paw bleed. Also, if your puppy’s nails are black, then, you must look for a professional puppy groomer to avoid risks of cutting the “vein” or “quick” part of the puppy’s nail by accident.
Cut One Nail per Session
Trimming one nail is a good way to start. It is important to go slow. Otherwise, it can cause anxiety for your pup. You must cut one nail in one session. Experts say that this is a good idea. This also lets you know the reaction of the puppy to cutting.
If your pup reacts badly, make sure you relax or comfort him. In contrast, if your pup is comfortable with trimming or cutting one nail per session, continue in this pattern until you cut all the nails properly.
Cutting the nails of your puppy is a risky task. You surely don’t want to hurt him or cause the paw to bleed. If you think you can’t do this, seek out professional’s help. Again, you must make your puppy comfortable and relax before you start trimming his nails. One nail per session is a great idea. Give your puppy a break after each nail cut.
When can you start cutting a puppy’s nails?
How can I cut my puppy’s nails at home?
Can I cut my puppy’s nails with human nail clippers?
How do you cut a puppy’s nails when scared?
What to do if your dog won’t let you cut their nails?
How do you cut a dog’s nails if they hate it?
Can I file my dog’s nails instead of clipping?
Do vets sedate dogs to cut nails?
Do dogs feel pain when you cut their nails?
What is a natural sedative for a dog?
What can I use to sedate my dog to cut her nails?
What is the best sedative for dogs?
|Gabapentin||10-20 mg/kg (upper end of dose in very hard to handle dogs, lower end of dose in geriatric patients)|
|Melatonin||By weight:<5 kg – 1 mg5-15 kg – 1.5 mg15-50 kg – 3 mg>50 kg – 5 mg|
How much Benadryl can I give my dog to sedate?
What can I give my dog to knock him out?
- acepromazine and Telazol powder (an anesthetic)
- acepromazine and diazepam (an anti-anxiety medicine)
- diazepam and butorphanol (an opioid pain reliever)
- phenobarbital and diazepam.
- dexmedetomidine (a pain reliever and anti-anxiety medication), ketamine (an anesthetic and pain reliever), and butorphanol.