Are you trying to lose weight? Many people often get motivated to get on the path of weight loss but often find it difficult to stay on track. Indeed, as studies have shown, it is often difficult to stick to any initiative once the initial enthusiasm wears off.
Here are some time-proven insights that need to be heeded in order to avoid the pitfalls and stay motivated:
- Motivation Cannot be One Time but Needs to be a Consistent Source
As in many instances in our lives, we are often inspired to embark upon an initiative, only to lose interest and motivation after a few days or weeks. It is necessary to:
- Know what motivates you to lose weight and use these factors as motivational tools.
- If you are losing weight to look better, use scientific yardsticks such as measuring your weight and your waistline after every two weeks to mark your progress.
- Be competitive and get into a weight loss routine with a colleague or friend; it would help to encourage each other and ensure that each of you does not fall off the bandwagon.
- See icons and celebrities who inspire you with respect to weight loss.
- Check out new diet plans that are in accordance with your taste buds and include items you love to eat and can help you lose weight as well.
- Get Inspired by Technology
There are different ways to surround yourself with weight loss goals and motivational tools. For instance:
- One can listen to podcasts that talk about weight loss, different ways to carry out and reach your weight loss target.
- Get gadgets that inspire you to lose weight – if you loved cycling, hire one from a bicycle studio nearby; use a step tracker watch that can help count your daily steps and calories you lose.
- Get apps on your smartphone for tracking calories and your weight loss progress.
The more you get involved with weight loss gadgets and tools, you would be spending more time towards ensuring that you are counting the calories and taking up physical activities to reach certain fitness parameters or goals.
- Inculcate Habits
We all know that self-motivation can be difficult to keep up all the time. However, if you form certain habits that aid in weight loss, these would be easier to carry out and maintain long term:
- Plan walks with your friends or any group activity weekly that includes physical exercise; group activities and sessions that are regular can help one to stick to weight loss regimes more.
- Habits like refraining from eating solids after 7 pm or drinking a glass of water before every meal.
When habits are created that are easier to hold onto as per one’s lifestyle, it would also help to sustain weight loss goals, especially over the long term. It needs to be remembered that weight loss goals can be easier to achieve but more difficult to maintain. Hence, you might have put in a rigorous exercise plan in place for two or three weeks to lose weight but simple habits as mentioned above will help you to keep going even after your initial enthusiasm has worn off.
- Track Your Progress
This is an inspirational step that should not be ignored. For instance, if you have decided to lose ten pounds in a time span of two or three weeks, you need to set a goal of weight loss in pounds that should be achieved by the end of a week. Once a week of exercises and diet has been completed, check your weight loss to measure your progress. This will help you understand where the shortcomings lie which could be an ineffective diet or exercise schedule.
- Reward Yourself
It is difficult to keep up a punitive stance towards your weight loss journey. It usually involves struggling with strenuous exercises and eating healthy food that is dull and unappealing. To make it a pleasant and sustainable experience use basic rewarding experiences such as:
- Allow yourself snacks and meals that are your favorite, over the weekend or during the day or at breakfast time, once or twice in a week.
- Get yourself flattering clothes that show off your flattened abs and make you feel good about the progress made.
- Book yourself for a spa or a massage session once a week; this is also therapeutic for controlling stress that can help inhibit weight gain.
The above points showcase how one can stay motivated on their journey to weight loss. Ensure that you focus on the positive effects and the rewards you gain by staying in shape. That would help you to stay motivated, not only to lose weight but also to stave it off which often becomes a more grueling exercise or a change to maintain in one’s life.