Everybody in their life has suffered from this annoyance of nasal congestion; it is the most common condition to get a stuffy nose from time to time. This condition arises when the nasal tissues swell because the blood vessels inside your nose become inflamed. In this condition generally excess of mucus drainage also happens along with a sticky stuffy nose.
- Get into Shower Immediately
The hot properties of water can actually reduce the inflammation of your blood vessels. Yes rushing into a hot shower can actually help reduce nasal congestion.
- Because the hot steam from the shower will help to loosen the blood vessels inside your nose.
- This isn’t a permanent treatment but it can relieve you for some time.
- Taking a hot shower is almost like breathing in steam; make sure that the hot water is not very hot to burn you.
- The Easy Saline Spray
Another way to reduce the stuffiness of the nose is by spraying saline water spray into one of the nasal cavity so that the water can come out of the other cavity.
- Although there is no medicine in the line water spray it is still effective.
- It is even safe for enceinte women. And older people can also take it by continuing taking their other medicines.
- You don’t need any prescription to take these sprays it is available as over the counter medicine.
- Use of Neti Pots
Amazon and other websites sell some of the alternate medicines like the Neti pots. These sports can be helpful in flushing the sinuses physically.
- It’s tried and tested ancient technique to clear the nasal passages from mucus.
- You can even make a saline solution to use it to flush this mucus with the Neti pot.
- To avoid the bacterias from your tap water you should use distilled water or previously boiled water.
- A Warm Piece of Cloth
If you heat the water and soak a clean piece of cloth in it to make it a warm compress and then apply it to the face it can really you from sinus concession, stuffy feeling in nose and face.
- Make sure that the water is really hot and you rinse the cloth well enough to get the warmth.
- Also to be sure of the cloth it must be a clean washed cloth.
- Arrange and take a big cloth so that the warmth can remain in it for a longer time.
- You may also consider slicing a few flash changes to add to the hot water before soaking the cloth.
- Eucalyptus Oil does Work
Ancient civilizations knew the properties of eucalyptus leaves’ oil hence they practiced using the oil for healing purposes with effective results.
- The inflammation of your nasal lining will certainly reduce, and breathing will become comfortable.
- If you add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil in your handkerchief and inhale it will be effective.
- You just need to put a few drops in a bowl of hot boiling water cover your head with a big towel and inhale the steam.
- Eucalyptus oil is easily available online on various medicinal stores and even offline.
- The Medicine for Allergy
Antihistamine drugs are the ones that avoid or blocks the allergic reactions expressed by your body, in this case, your nose.
- There are many over the counter antihistamine drugs available in the market read carefully about them before buying.
- Along with the medicinal properties these drugs also come with side effects like drowsiness and sleep.
- Also, do not ignore to read the prescription and dosage before taking these medicines.
- A Decongestant Might also be Helpful
Some of the drugs work as decongestants where they reduce the stuffiness of your nose by narrowing the spellings in the lining of your nose.
- Decongestants force your small blood vessels in the nose to narrow and reduce stuffiness.
- Decongestants are generally available effective in nasal spray form but pills are also available.
- It is always recommended to take the nasal sprays because they work faster and better, unlike pills.
- Decongestants might be harmful to high blood pressure patients consult your doctor before taking them.
- Side effects of decongestants are increased heart rate, dry mouth, also a headache.
- Effective Use of Humidifiers
It is known that a cool mist can also decrease the inflammation of any kind of mucous membranes inside your nose. Hence, the effective use of humidifiers can also be beneficial.
- The humidifier will definitely make the mucus of your nose thinner resulting in relief.
- It is important to maintain your humidifier clean and clear to avoid bacterial growth.
- You should ardently follow the recommendations suggested by manufacturers.
- Humidifiers are available in a lot of varieties to suit your needs.
- Keeping Yourself Hydrated
To make the nasal mucus thing you need to drink enough water may be more than enough it is important to reduce the thickness of your mucus.
- Thin mucus will certainly be beneficial in pushing the fluid from the nose hence decreasing in pressure in the sinuses.
- The inflammation and irritation will reduce once the pressure in sinuses is reduced.
- Enough of hydration will avoid the thickening of mucus.
- Use of Horseradish
Many people believe that horseradish and garlic supplements do really help is cold and flu. It prevents Sinusitis hay fever and upper respiratory tract infections.
- It has additional ingredients like Vitamin C which is claimed to be always beneficial for fighting against the stuffy nose.
- Vitamin C can actually fight against the factor that causes the stuffy nose.
- The immune system is also strengthened by consuming Vitamin C to avoid further allergies.
- Acupressure is an Important Facial Massage
Acupressure is another alternative approach to treat stuffy nose which is actually based on the acupressure principles.
- It all does is applied gentle pressure to certain points on your face to clear your nose.
- The cavity at the corners of nostrils and point just below the ducts are two effective points for the Acupressure.
- Apply gentle pressure with your fingertips on these points in rotational movement.
- While applying the pressure you should not feel any kind of pain.
- Repeat the cycle of push-releasing-rotation again and again for a few times.
- Use of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar works like charm apple cider vinegar is a traditional American recipe which works all the time for your stuffy nose. Take a cup of warm water or hot water had a few teaspoons of cider vinegar.
- You may also add a teaspoon of honey to this solution and consume it three times a day.
- This is the most effective homemade remedy for sinus related problems.
- The water shouldn’t be too hot but it can be a little hot or warm.
- Peppermint is Another Option
The peppermint has menthol in it which is an excellent decongestant. Menthol will definitely break the phlegm and mucus congestion.
- The inflamed mucous membranes can be calmed by the properties of menthol present in peppermint.
- It is also an excellent agent in thinning the mucus so there is a less possibility of a block of sinus passage.
- You can consume peppermint in regular tea to get the relief in a most basic way.
- Ginger Lemon Syrup is the Right Remedy
Ginger itself is an excellent antihistamine agent and if you add it with the enormous properties of Vitamin C which are present in lemon the combination works like a charm.
- Watch the Ginger properly and mix it in a mixer after chopping gets into pieces.
- Add a few tablespoons of lemon juice in this and consume it just like that.
- You can also chop the Ginger into small pieces and add lemon juice over it and can consume it with your meal.
- Use of Lemon
You can just mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and also add more than half tablespoon of black pepper powder with A Pinch of salt and also apply this solution to your nose.
- We all know that lemon has a fantastic amount of Vitamin C to fight the allergies. It also has the best antihistamine properties known.
- Generally, this mixture is supposed to be digested in the stomach but.
- Just leave the solution for a few minutes and then watch what happens afterward.
- Basil Leaves
The medicinal properties of the basil leaves are famous and well practiced in most parts of Asia. You can pluck a few grams of these leaves from the plant itself.
- You can add 5 to 10 basil leaves in your daily tea to get the effect of medicinal properties of the leaves.
- Or you can just chew 4-5 basil leaves after every 3 hours to get the most effective results.
- Consumption of basil leaves is the best and the effective treatment in a stuffy nose.
- Use of Ginger
Ginger as the high anti-inflammatory properties as we all know which is best suited for your stuffy nose. Ginger is known very effective when it is about your clogged the nasal passages.
- You can cut and squeeze the use of ginger in your morning tea in about a half tablespoon quantity.
- Or you may also slice the Ginger root and boil it in an out two cups of water for 20 minutes.
- You may strain and drink this water thrice or four times a day.
- You can also soc some fresh washcloth in this mixture and gently place it over your face for around 20 minutes.
- Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are also known and famous for giving you relief from the stuffy nose by thinning your mucus.
- You can take a few grams of fenugreek seeds and mix them in the water now heat this mixture but do not boil it.
- Take out this mixture from the stove let it get a little warm and then consume this mixture for 3 to 4 times a day.
- DefineGreekseeds properties will definitely in your mucus to help clear your nasal passages.
- Consumption of Herbal Tea
Taking a tea especially an herbal tea doesn’t look like consuming a medicine. During stuffy nose, you should definitely consume herbal tea along with other medicines.
- A combination of Herbs like Blackberry thyme, peppermint, Rosemary leaves is an excellent cure for treating a stuffy nose.
- Don’t hesitate to add this combination in a good amount a regular tea.
- Consumed this tea hot twice or thrice a day.
- Hot Soups During Meals
Another thing that you can consume with your daily meal is hot soup which doesn’t look like medicine and is a part of your food.
- If you intake daily 3-4 cups of hot chicken soup it will be the best and handy in treating a stuffy nose.
- Suppose if you are a vegetarian then take a vegetable soup with plenty of garlic and ginger in it.
- Tomato soup is also considered as the best soup consumed during dinner to have relief from stuffy nose.
- Enjoy Spicy Food
The hot spices are famous for their medicinal properties this includes the help in thinning the mucus to get relief from stuffy nose.
- Spicy food includes red chilies, paper, onions, garlic, and many other such items.
- Spicy food also has antihistamine properties in it to prevent you from allergies.
- If you have always avoided spicy food this is the time to enjoy it.
- Use of Pepper
The most common spicy food which can give you immediate relief is the small seeds of pepper. This is an easy remedy which is available at any time in your house.
- You can prepare a solution of black pepper in around 1 tablespoon quantity and also a tablespoon of honey.
- Take these two ingredients and in boiled water and consume it.
- These pic properties of paper and a combination of honey in it will definitely give you great relief from a stuffy nose.
- Consuming Tomato Juice
Tomatoes are known to have the excellent properties which cannot just reduce the inflammation of your nasal passage but also it can open up your sinuses.
- You can have a mug of tomato juice and about earth tablespoon of garlic followed by A Pinch of salt in it.
- You can drink this mixture twice or thrice a day to get relief from your clogged nose.
- And another option for tomato juice is consuming the tomato soup.
- Use Vapor Rub
Vapor rubs contain very effective ingredients like eucalyptus, menthol, and camphor and they all can help clear the stuffy nose. The range of its effect depends on person to person. For some, it is the best remedy but for few, it doesn’t work too well. But vapor rub gives a soothing feeling as it feels warm.
- It is preferred to apply vapor rub on the chest or on the neck. It is the most effective at these places.
- As it is a thick solution, children tend to sometimes eat it without the knowledge of it. It can cause a lot of complication for infants if eaten.
- As the person applies it on the forehead, it gives an indirect effect of it. When it is rubbed on the forehead, the person can breathe the vapors.
- Gently Blow the Nose
Blowing the nose with full pressure is not good as it can cause a lot of problems like severe headache and can cause a high amount of pain on the ears. Always blow the nose gently. The person can keep a finger on the nostril and repeat the same on the other nostril. This way the nostril chamber will slowly start losing all the mucus and won’t create any problems further.
- Keep the hand and all the fingers sanitized to avoid any kind of infection. Infection in the nasal cavity can cause more problems which include pain.
- If the nose is blown with a lot of pressure then the person can start bleeding too. Immediately stop the process and consult a doctor.
- Usage of OTC Decongest
If the problem doesn’t go away, then the person should talk to a doctor. Ask them for the Over the Counter (OTC) medicines. Always keep in mind that, consume the medicine with the prescription of the doctor only. Sometimes the medicine doesn’t suit the person and it may cause various side effects.
- If any child is having stuffy nose then they should be prescribed with medicines that are only for children. High concentration dose can affect their immune system so it is better to always consult a doctor before giving any medicine to the kids.
- There are sprays like Flonase and Nasacort which will help to clear the stuffy nose. As it contains corticosteroids, it will reduce the burning sensation and will also help if the nose is blocked due to any kind of allergy.
- All these medications can make the person feel tired and even sleepy. This is due to the high dosage of its elements. So try to sleep properly after consuming the medicine.
- Try to Keep the Head in the Elevated Position
As lying flat can increase the chances of mucus building up in the nasal passage it will be problematic for a person to sleep peacefully. Above that, if the head is flat; it will cause breathing problems and will slowly ruin the person’s sleep.
- Try to use a recliner which can be adjusted according to the preference.
- Many people sleep on their stomach and even on the side. For them, it is recommended to sleep on their back and elevate the head.
- Avoid Smoke
There are irritants like variouselectronic vapors and cigarette which can cause a stuffy nose and will make it difficult to breathe. Always try to avoid smoking as it doesn’t have kind of positive effects and also avoid passive smoking. This will indirectly affect a person’s health.
- It is better to quit smoking as it can cause many problems, including a stuffy nose.
- Due to various irritants, the person can increase the chances of having allergens.
- Long Term Nasal Congestion
There can be times when congestion continues for more than 7 days. At that point try to contact the doctor as soon as possible. There can be various symptoms like sore throat, running nose, body ache, stuffy nose, and even fatigue.
- There can chances that the person will have a fever over 39 degrees centigrade. At that point, the person will eventually have all the above symptoms. So try to take care of it.
- Usage of Nasal Adhesive Strips
The person can apply a white colored thin strip with an adhesive that will help to widen the nostril which will help to breathe properly. The person has to stick the strip on the nose to give enough space for the air to pass.
- This will give a lot of relief from pain and suffocation. With time it will stop the headache too.
- The medical term of the strip is anti-snoring strips as it can be used in both snoring and congestion purpose too.
- It is cheap and doesn’t have any kind of side effect.
- Please clean all the handkerchiefs that you used during the stuffy nose, you can also keep your clothes separately away from the other clothes in the house.
- Please take a lot of rest and don’t engage yourself into any activity which triggers allergic reactions from your body.
If you are going out try to wear a nose mask or a face mask and stay indoors in a dusty environment.
How do I unblock my nose at night?
- Eat chicken noodle soup. Your grandmother’s cold remedy might have something to it.
- Drink hot tea.
- Gargle with salt water.
- Try a facial steam.
- Or take a hot shower.
- Use a saline rinse.
- Use a corticosteroid nasal spray.
How can I unblock my nose fast?
- Use a humidifier. A humidifier provides a quick, easy way to reduce sinus pain and relieve a stuffy nose.
- Take a shower.
- Stay hydrated.
- Use a saline spray.
- Drain your sinuses.
- Use a warm compress.
- Try decongestants.
- Take antihistamines or allergy medicine.
What causes blocked nose at night?
Should you spit out phlegm?
How long do stuffy noses last?
What are the 5 stages of cold?
- Stage 1: Onset. It’s roughly 1-3 days since you came into contact with a cold virus and your body is starting to show mild symptoms like mild fatigue, runny or stuffy nose, and a sore throat.
- Stage 2: Progression.
- Stage 3: Peak.
- Stage 4: Remission.
- Stage 5: Recovery.
Does blowing your nose help get rid of a cold?
What does a blocked sinus feel like?
How can I unblock my sinuses at home?
- Use a humidifier or vaporizer.
- Take long showers or breathe in steam from a pot of warm (but not too hot) water.
- Drink lots of fluids.
- Use a nasal saline spray.
- Try a Neti pot, nasal irrigator, or bulb syringe.
- Place a warm, wet towel on your face.
- Prop yourself up.
- Avoid chlorinated pools.
Can you hear your sinuses pop?
Why is my nose always blocked on one side?
What is the best position to sleep in with a stuffy nose?
Is it normal to breathe out of one nostril?
Why can’t I breathe out of one nostril when I lay down?
Can’t breathe when lying down?
How can I improve my breathing through my nose?
Ads by Google